Te’von Coney (born June 10, 1997) is an NFL linebacker for the Las Vegas Raiders. He played college football for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Coney graduated in May 2018 with a B.A. in philosophy and minor in business economics. He signed with the Oakland Raiders as an undrafted free agent in 2019.
Coney was born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida. Despite facing adversity as a young man, Coney strived to be great in academics and football because he was confident this would lead to his success. His efforts have achieved him excellence both on and off the field.
Coney attended Palm Beach Gardens Community High School in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. In his junior season (2013), Coney helped Palm Beach Gardens reach Florida Class 8A semifinals by recording 172 tackles, six forced fumbles, and two interceptions. During his senior season (2014), Coney recorded 136 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, two fumble recoveries, and two interceptions. He finished his high school career as a 2015 Under Armour All-American.
Following his high school career, Coney early enrolled at the University of Notre Dame where he began taking classes in January and participated in 2015 spring drills.
Coney, a true freshman (2015), played in 12 games on special teams and as a reserve linebacker. He registered 13 tackles. During his sophomore season (2016), Coney played in all 12 games and started in nine. He recorded 62 tackles, including 33 solo stops. In Coney’s junior season (2017) he appeared in all 13 games and started in seven. He led the Irish in solo tackles (57), assisted tackles (59), total tackles (116), TFLs (13.5) and ranked second in sacks (3.0). In Coney’s senior season (2018), he started all 12 games and led the Irish with 107 total tackles. He registered nine TFLs, 3.5 sacks, five QB hurries, four break-ups, an interception, and a fumble recovery. Coney was selected as a Midseason All-American by Pro Football Focus (first team) and to numerous award watch lists. Furthermore, he recorded a career-best 17 tackles (top by any player in a bowl game) in the 2018 Citrus Bowl.
Throughout Coney’s journey, he has discovered his purpose in life is bigger than playing the sport he loves. Aside from his football aspirations, Coney dreams to make an impact through effectuating change in his community. He seeks to inspire hope and open doors of opportunity for youth in his hometown.
In 2020, Coney launched Tough Choices. The objective of Tough Choices is to educate, inspire, and mentor the youth in communities that are in dire need of additional, equitable support.
Tough Choices is not a brand, but a movement crafted to encourage change, reform education, and spark growth.
College Career Honors:
- Butkus Award Watch List (2018)
- Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List (2018)
- Bendarik Award Watch List (2018)
- Named to the Pro Football Focus College Team of the Week after the win over No. 14 Michigan when he totaled 10 tackles, including 0.5 for loss, a fumble recovery, and two QB hurries (2018).
- USA Today All-Bowl Team (2017)
- Notre Dame Impact Player Award (2017)
- Named Bednarik Defensive Player of the Week following his stellar performance against USC when he collected 11 tackles, two TFLs, one sack, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery (2017).
High School Career Honors:
- First-team linebacker on Palm Beach Post all-area squad and Florida Class 8A all-conference team (2014)
- Ranked as 12 inside linebacker nationally by 247Sports, 15th middle linebacker by Scout.com and 20th outside linebacker nationally by ESPN
- Listed 295th on ESPN 200 Chart (2014)
- Rated 187th player nationally on Tom Lemming’s Top 300 list
- Second-team Florida 8A all-state, first-team all-county and all-conference 8A pick (2013)